Use enter to open, Escape to close
911 Addressing
Lee Kouadio-Tobey
Office Phone: 361-587-3564

Addressing is a multifaceted task with implications that need to be clarified. The current development and upgrades to the Next Generation 911 (NG-911) standards and the county's explosive growth have created a challenging environment for addressing. San Patricio County has developed this page to simplify the addressing process and facilitate a greater understanding of the issues surrounding addressing.

The San Patricio County NG-911 coordinator's responsibilities include assigning, verifying, and correcting physical addresses and ensuring that all records for addresses, road names, and road signs in the databases with the local 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP) and local government agencies are up-to-date.

Our office exercises this authority to provide addressing services for the county's citizens. This ongoing effort ensures that San Patricio County residents receive timely and accurate services to their residences and businesses. The 9-1-1 Coordinator reserves the right to readdress or correct addresses to conform with the National Emergency Number Association (NENA), Next Generation 911 (NG-911), and State of Texas standards.


San Patricio County NG-911


Click through the topics below for details about the different aspects of NG-911.

If you have a question about a property's address, need a new address assigned, or need an address correction, please contact our 9-1-1 Coordinator. 

  • Please follow the instructions below for inquiries other than an address. For subdivisions or major developments, please send the GIS supervisor a site plan showing the parcels/lots, driveways, and roads. We will not issue official addresses until the County receives a copy of the recorded plat.

    For road names, please refer to the information below 

    For road sign inquiries, please refer to the information below

    To report a damaged or missing road name sign OUTSIDE city limits, contact your precinct’s road and bridge office.

    To report problems with a stop sign, speed limit sign, or any other type of sign, call TxDOT at (361) 364 6400

    To report problems with a street sign within a city or town, contact the public works department of that specific municipality.  

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

  • A physical address describes a location. Some residences or businesses maintain a physical address separate from a mailing address. However, while a physical address can be a mailing address, that has not always been the case. We recommend using your physical address as your mailing. Before requesting an address inquiry, you need to determine which addressing authority to contact. Gather all the necessary information/documents for the request (See Below). The San Patricio County 9-1-1 Coordinator is the sole addressing authority for the County.

    If the area of interest is the county, you can make an inquiry. If the area is in a municipality with corporate status and a local government, you will want to contact the correct addressing agent for that municipality. The 9-1-1 Coordinator only provides services in areas considered County unless we have a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to serve as the addressing authority for that municipality.

    Required Information: Property Identification Number (PID) from the San Patricio County Appraisal District.

    Necessary Documents: Deed and Survey/Plat


    • Receive Address Request Form
    • Assign, verify, or correct the address
    • Email or mail notification to the requestor
    • Inform the Appraisal District


    • A complete address inquiry requires other steps for the address point to become official, recognized, and valid. After the data is submitted to the Coastal Bend Council of Government (CBCOG), the County no longer controls the outcome. Refer to the document attached for more details.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

  • The road attributes are considered for a road inquiry. It is best practice and in the interest of all parties involved to use the road name instead of the highway number when addressing. The County would have to approve the changes to a road name. Highway numbers can and do change without input from the County. Meanwhile, county road names are generally more stable and lasting than highway numbers and less likely to create a need for a change of address.

    The NG-911 standards call for naming a private road instead of stacking addresses off the main road. It generally occurs in rural residential areas when a long, skinny lot has multiple dwellings, warehouses, and buildings throughout one parcel.

    New roads created through a new development or a subdivision will have names proposed on a plat. The proposed roads are checked against existing names for duplication, overuse, and similar-sounding names. After the plat is recorded, the streets will be assigned address ranges.

    • Public roads in the County consist of roads maintained by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). The TxDOT highways have an associated highway number with types that include Interstate (I), United States Highway (US), State Highway (SH), State Spur (SP), Loop (LP), and Farm-to-Market (FM). Most highways have a road name, but some use the TxDOT highway number for identification.

    Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

    • City roads generally originate from annexing existing county roads or commercial and residential developments. Existing roads annexed from the County could be subject to a name change, triggering a change of the addresses on that road, but they will likely keep the address ranges. The municipalities maintain City/Town roads.

    Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

    • A county road, usually starting with CR followed by a number, is designated and maintained by the County Precincts’ Road and Bridge. New county roads or changes require the approval of the County Commissioners’ Court.

    Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

    • A Private road, usually starting with PR followed by a number or name, is a privately owned road proposed by a property owner or for new development. New standards require that Private roads be named or numbered and follow addressing standards or requirements. A street sign is necessary on a private road, and it is the responsibility of the private road owner to procure and place the sign and maintain the road. The street sign will need to meet the County design standard.

    Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

    • Roadway signs in the United States increasingly use symbols rather than words to convey their message. Symbols provide instant communication with roadway users, overcome language barriers, and are becoming standard for traffic control devices worldwide. Familiarity with symbols on traffic signs is essential for every road user to maintain the safety and efficiency of our transportation facilities. Roadway signs are added, replaced, and maintained by the entity responsible. The County Precincts' Road and Bridge add, replace, and maintain county signs. Meanwhile, TxDOT and the cities add, replace, and maintain their signs.

    Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

  • The County does not issue or maintain zip codes. Zip codes are purely the responsibility of the United States Postal Service (USPS) and have no bearing on your address. While many people relate a particular zip code to a specific municipality, this can create confusion. The County has many zip codes. To find your zip code, please visit the USPS ZIP Code Lookup.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion